Alphabet Under Construction

Children may or may not come to school knowing the letters in their name or even being able to write their names.  Using children's names can be a powerful tool in developing some emerging literacy skills. When we teach using children's names it establishes a greater sense of community and ownership in the classroom.  Children love to hear and see their names; they are so proud of them!  There are so many skills that can be taught with names: alphabet recognition, phoneme substitution, phoneme deletion, beginning sounds, number of letters, syllables, rhyming....the list goes on and on!

In this lesson, I used the first letter of the children's names.  But, before we started reading the book, we did a fun music and movement activity.  All you need is Hap Palmer's Learning Basic Skills Through Music, Vol. 1 and a set of alphabet bean bags or alphabet cards.
    

Lay the bean bags on in circle on the floor and let the children march around the bags -- follow the instructions on the song, Marching Around the Alphabet!  The children have a great time with this song, and it's mellow pace is really nice!
After moving our bodies a bit, I read the book, Alphabet Under Construction  by Denise Fleming.  This is a fun ABC book in which the little mouse uses different tools and items to build each letter of the alphabet.  The children really enjoy seeing what the mouse will use to create each letter! 

I then show them all of the letters that I have pre-cut out of tagboard.  The letters are fairly big (I use large, rather old fashioned stencils to make them, they are probably 10-12" high).  I show each letter and invite the children to come get their stencil when the first letter of their name is shown.    The children have their own opportunity to "construct" their letter.  I have a variety of collage supplies available to them (beans, buttons, feather, pom poms, etc.)  

This is a really nice first couple of weeks activity because the children have the opportunity to be creative freely and work indepedently.  Before we hang the letters up, we write our name on a slip that says,  is for _________ and glue that along with our letter onto a larger piece of paper.  We try to read all letter and the name before it gets hung up.  The children love to use a pointer to try to read the letters and the names!

This is an idea that I got from some of my colleagues.

18 comments:

  1. I am looking for activities to use at ESL camp this summer with upcoming kinders (and I don't usually teah kinder!). Thanks so much for sharing te idea and these pictures. I'll be doing this one for sure=)
    F is For First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cute activity!! Thanks for sharing!!

    Miss J

    smilescrayonsandendlessstories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this cute activity!! I love a book and craft pair :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving this activity for the first few weeks of school :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to add a comment here to mention thanks for you very nice ideas. I appreciate when I see well written material.
    new driveway cost Wellington

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage. It definitely stretches the limits with the mind when you go through very good info and make an effort to interpret it properly. I am going to glance up this web site usually on my PC. Thanks for sharingbest paver near Boynton

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to undertand. Unlike additional blogs I have read which are really not tht good. I also found your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my friend and he ejoyed it as well! vibro stone columns

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paving today is not a cheap installation and you could be looking at Commercial Paving Colorado Springs CO

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interestingly you write, I will address you'll find exciting and interesting things on similar topics. Quality Management Services

    ReplyDelete
  10. his is really best writing i have every seen. i have got a lot of good knowledge from this website and i am waiting for the next blog. Points and Trick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nest login is done by various people, to make their home safe and secure. best smm panel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best login is done by various people, to make their home safe and secure.Best smm panel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very inspiring post. It's an inspiration for me. Great tips that i was looking for Construction Management

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, the is so informative. i get more information from Babar Azam vs Virat Kohli

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. his is really best writing i have every seen. i have got a lot of good knowledge from this website and i am waiting for the next blog.Best Restaurants in Lahore

    ReplyDelete